A little offbeat, but a great application of science to literature.
Think kindly of the dragon Smaug. Shed a tear for Gollum. And give an orc a hug. If only they had tucked into the occasional quiche and salad or a touch of smoked salmon, or had a few sessions on a sunbed. How much kinder history would have been to them.So suggests an offbeat study, released on Sunday, which concludes that the evil characters in J.R.R. Tolkien\’s \”The Hobbit\” lost their battle against men, elves and dwarves because they suffered from vitamin deficiency.
Shunning sunlight, surviving on a sketchy or unbalanced diet based on rotten meat or (in Gollum’s case) the occasional blind fish, they lacked vitamin D, a key component for healthy bones and muscle strength.
- Lack of preciousss vitamin made Gollum a loser (healthresearchreport.me)
- ‘Smaug, Gollum lacked vitamins’ (news.optuszoo.com.au)
- Scientists studying ‘The Hobbit’ say lack of ‘preciousss’ vitamin made Gollum a loser (rawstory.com)
- Tolkein baddies lacking in vitamins (skynews.com.au)
- Villains like Gollum and Dracula always lose in the end – because they lack vitamin D (thisismoney.co.uk)